Course fee: £140 Tutor: Rachel Hutton
This one day course will explore the use of a variety of woodland plants and trees to create items used in cosmetics. You will take home a number of different items based on the season you attend the course.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- how to select, harvest, dry/prepare and store materials/seasonal availability and working with the seasons
- how to infuse oils
- use of essential oils, fragrance oils and flavour oils
- how to adapt and change recipes to suit individual needs (e.g.: vegans, nut intolerances etc.)
- where to buy ingredients, shelf life and responsible sourcing of them
- how to make a range of seasonally appropriate beauty products which may include some of the following:
- glycerine soaps and shampoo soaps
- cold process soaps
- shampoo and conditioner bars
- liquid soaps
- balms and body/lip butters
- bath bombs and fizzies
- bath salts
- bubble bath
- men’s grooming products
- health and safety related to making beauty products
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
Please note we have in-depth one day soap making courses too. This course has 2 elements a Spring/Summer and Autumn/Winter elements. Both are standalone courses and will cover different aspects.
You will need to bring a wipe clean apron, wear covered shoes and have clothing which covers your arms. Please be aware that this course will use Citrol and should not be attended by those with a Citrol allergy.
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season.