Course fee: £135.00 Tutor: Alistair Hayhurst
This one day course is the perfect introduction to making plant climbers, obelisks and plant supports for the garden using willow grown here in Ecclesall Woods.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- selection of different types and lengths of willow
- preparation of willow
- growing willow
- using jigs and templates
- design ideas, limitations and structural decisions
- creating different weaves and patterns
- use of basic basketry tools and techniques
- prolonging the life of your structure/support
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
- health and safety related to willow work
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a good level of manual dexterity on your fingers