Course fee: £135 Tutor: Dave Jackson
A one day course in the basic skills involved in spoon carving. No experience needed but a willingness ability to use hand tools is essential.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- considering different types of wood suitable for spoon carving.
- different types of spoon carving tools (gouges and knives) used in greenwood craft, and how to use them.
- cleaving greenwood logs into billets ready for using a froe and an axe.
- using a shave horse and drawknife to shape wood.
- health and safety related to spoon carving
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a high level of manual dexterity on your fingers