Course fee: £130 Tutor: Dave Jackson
This one day coppicing course is run in one of our coppice areas where you will be able to see the coppice at all different stages of growth/management. You will gain experience in the practical management of that area and how we are reinstating coppice areas in other parts of the woodland.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- Identifying which trees are safe and suitable to cut down for various needs
- using hand tools safely and effectively to clear, cut and process the wood
- planning the work area
- benefits of coppicing for wildlife, flaura and fauna
- building work breaks
- increasing light
- coppice restoration
- practical coppicing
- storage of cut materials
- the different types of woods and their uses
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
- health and safety related to coppicing
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a high level of manual dexterity on your fingers and is physically demanding.