Course fee: 135.00 Tutor: Dave Jackson
This one day course will introduce you to the use of a traditionally leg/foot powered pole lathe.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- considering different types of wood and what you can make from them
- the types of tools used in Greenwood Craft, and how to use them
- use of different chisels to create different shapes/cuts
- cleaving greenwood logs into billets ready for turning, using a froe and an axe
- using a shave horse and drawknife to shape the wood ready for turning
- setting up/tensioning a bungee lathe and a pole lathe
- health and safety related to pole lathe work
You will use those tips and techniques to design and make a garden dibber.
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a high level of manual dexterity on your fingers and is physically demanding on the lower body.