Course fee: £270.00 Tutor: Dave Jackson
During this intensive two day course you will learn how to make a shave horse using a traditional English pattern.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- selection of timber
- designing for strength and aesthetics
- basic and correct use of saws, drills, bits, augers, saws, axes and wedges
- use of holding tools to include vices, bench dogs and planning stops
- simple jointing
- basic finishing techniques
- accurate marking out and measuring
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
- health and safety in the craft area
You will use a variety of green woodworking tools and techniques including splitting, shaping legs with axes, using draw knives and a shave horse to shape the 3 legs. You will then make the frame by splitting shaping and drilling. The sloping platform and wedge will be made and fitted to the shave horse bed as the final part.
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
Please ensure that you have a suitable sized vehicle to transport your shave horse home!
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a high level of manual dexterity on your fingers and is physically demanding.