Course Fee: £85
Learn how to fell small trees by hand and how to process them ready for use as firewood, craft material and brash. We will use traditional woodland tools such as a bowsaw, axe, felling lever and rope to fell the trees and a billhook, pruning saw and loppers to process the wood.
Trees need to be felled to keep the woodland in a healthy state and to allow other trees to grow to their full capacity. It also allows light onto the woodland floor, creating an environment for other flora and fauna to thrive.
– learn to identify which trees are safe and suitable to cut down for various needs.
– learn how to use hand tools safely and effectively.
– learn where the safe zones are and different types of cuts to use on a tree when felling depending on size and state of the tree.
– learn how to process the wood by using a pruning saw and bow saw to cut into manageable sizes and a billhook to send (take the smaller branches off.)
– learn the different woods and what their uses are.
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs.
All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes for working outdoors.
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee). No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course. All adult courses are for 16 years or over.