Course fee: £135 Tutor: Alistair Hayhurst
This one day course will give you a chance to learn how to make willow and or hazel hurdles (dependent upon seasonal availability). You will go home with a completed woven panel.
Hurdles are traditional fence panels that have been used for a variety of different functions over the years, from animal enclosures to walls of houses.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- introduction to tools and materials used in hurdle making
- woodland management, including hazel coppicing.
- sourcing and grading hazel
- preparing zales (uprights) and base weave
- introduction to different methods of splitting hazel
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
- health and safety related to hurdle making
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them, but are not essential. Please note this course will require a good level of manual dexterity on your fingers.