Course fee: £85
This one day course will introduce the variety of different axes and their uses in and around the woods, and then working with wood.
The course will also cover look at how to look after your axes, including grinding and sharpening, and what to look for when buying a new or second hand axes.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- how to get the best out of your axes
- knowing the right axe for the right job
- how to use axes safely and effectively
- how to keep your axes sharp and in good condition
- Following introductions, the group will head in the woods to look at felling and forest axes. We will practice felling trees, covering practical hand felling techniques as well as the use of billhooks and saws.Back in the craft area we will look at cleaving to get materials ready for crafts use. This will include the use of splitting axes, cleaving axes and froes.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them. Participants must be fit and agile enough to stand and work outside in the woods all day at this time of year.
What you need to know…
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs. All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes for working outdoors.
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee). No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course. All adult courses are for 16 years or over.