Introduction Charcoal and Bio-Char
Charcoal was made in Ecclesall woods for the early steel industry. If you wander around it today you can still see the remnants of the old Q pits and the grave of the charcoal maker who met his demise there! Come and make charcoal with a modern charcoal retort.
This will be a day spent in the lovely surroundings of Ecclesall Woods learning how charcoal and biochar is made. There will be two methods of making charcoal demonstrated firstly using the Hookway Retort, which is a modern efficient way of making charcoal, and secondly using a “Tonga” kiln, which is basic traditional method used in many countries.
The course will consist of:
- Explanation of charcoal and biochar and their uses.
- Loading and firing of the retort and kiln.
- How to prepare wood and store for charcoal making.
- How to make small amounts of charcoal.
- Making instant light charcoal bags which you will take one home with you.
- The next day, if you are able, come help unpack the retort and kiln.
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs.
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee) No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course.
You will need to bring a packed lunch – drinks are provided! Wear suitable clothes for working outdoors