Course fee: £135 Tutor: Rachel Hutton
This one day course will make a beautiful Coptic bound (that’s the style of stitching) journal from scratch.
You will learn practical tips and techniques on:
- how to select papers and work with grain
- how to form signatures
- how to use a fid
- how to work safely with knives, cutting mats and rules
- tools and equipment use related to basic bookmaking
- Coptic stitching and kettle stitch
- decorative stitch techniques
- types of thread and their uses
- types of ribbon and their uses
- types of glues and their uses
- sourcing materials and tools
- PPE (personal protective equipment) selection and use
- health and safety related to bookmaking
At Ecclesall Woods we pride ourselves on the high quality teaching from our tutors and our low class numbers (max 5 for most classes) and a number of our courses also have an assistant.
We have found that smaller class sizes are more productive, un-rushed and allow students to learn more.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and covered toe footwear for working outdoors in this season.