A one day Course to introduce you to Green wood craft, using a Pole Lathe, basic craft tools and making simple Rustic furniture.
Over the course, you will cover the following:
1. Consider different types of native timbers [wood] and what you can make from it.
2. Be introduced to the various types of tools used in Greenwood Craft, and how to use them.
3. Learn the art of ‘Cleaving or Reaving’ from Hazel rods to large billets of timber..
4. Use of Cleaving breaks and shaving horses. What they are and how they can be of use.
5. Preparing to make a 4 legged jointed stool having mastered the various equipment & tools used in greenwood craft, and will look at the basics of pole lathe turning techniques to make a stool.
Students will select harvested (coppiced) wood, and shape it with axes and drawknives to prepare parts for spindle turning .
Your objective will be to make a ‘Jointed’ Rustic stool using greenwood working techniques. What is Green Wood? Green Wood is freshly felled, still sappy wood. To work it requires a set of simple techniques based on an understanding of how wood reacts – both to the tools, and to the dry and shrinking process. Because it is green, the wood is soft and easy to work with hand tools, and because of this, green woodwork creates little waste, and can utilise small trees and logs. It is therefore green in all senses of the word.
A Rustic stool is made from milled timber [Ash, Oak or Sycamore] for the top, with legs and stretchers of Hazel or Ash in its natural form. This makes a very handsome stool, and is a great course to develop your greenwood craft skills, either as a hobby, or the first steps on a new craft career!
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs.
All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes for working outdoors.
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee). No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course.
All adult courses are for 16 years or over.