Course Fee: £265
This three day course will introduce you to the traditional art of green wood craft.
Green Wood is freshly felled, still sappy wood. To work it requires a set of simple techniques based on an understanding of how wood reacts – both to the tools, and to the dry and shrinking process. Because it is green, the wood is soft and easy to work with hand tools, and because of this, green woodwork creates little waste, and can utilise small trees and logs. It is therefore green in all senses of the word. Rustic stools are made from cleft timber which is worked and shaped with axes and a drawknife. This makes a very simple stool, and is a great course to develop your greenwood craft skills, either as a hobby, or the first steps on a new craft career.
Over the course of the three days you will experience:
- basic woodland management- spending the first day in the woodland learning how to fell and coppice small trees for greenwood craft and considering different types of native timbers [wood] and the objects you can make from them
- the various types of tools used in Greenwood Craft, such as a drawknife, axe, froe and carving knife and understand how to use them safely and effectively
- the art of ‘cleaving’ which is splitting down wood into workable sections
- the use of cleaving breaks and shaving horses: what they are and how they can be of use
- the making of a rustic stool, having ‘tasted’ the use of various equipment & tools used in greenwood craft
There may also be time to create a simple spatula or other carved item or have a go at pole lathing depending on time available.
You will need to wear suitable clothing and footwear for working outdoors in this season. Steel toe cap boots would be advantageous if you have them.
Read or leave a review here
What you need to know …
Please let us know if you have any specific requirements or needs. All materials and tool use are provided for you on the day. Refreshments and biscuits throughout the course. Please bring a packed lunch, notebook and pen and wear suitable clothes for working outdoors.
Refundable up to two weeks prior to course (minus £30 admin fee). No refunds for cancellations within two weeks of course. All adult courses are for 16 years or over.